Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Amplitude of driven vibrations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Imagine a hollow wineglass shape that has a fixed boundary condition at the stem of the wineglass and free everywhere else. This has various modes (the rim vibrates in various ways), e.g. outward at North and South and inward at East and West rim (by "outward" and "inward" at the rim I mean, for a snapshot in time). Let's call that one Mode 1.

Another mode which happens to be orthogonal would be outward at Northeast and Southwest and inward at Northwest and Southeast. Let's call that one Mode 2.

Another mode with a lower modal number is where North goes outward and South goes inward. Call that Mode 3.

I have to apply a sinusoidal force to the Northern-most point on the wineglass (e.g. F = (1 Newton)*Sin(omega*t) ), and see what displacement amplitude each mode gets excited to, due to that force. For instance, Mode 1 and 3 above would be excited by that driving force while Mode 2 would not.

So the output I seek is, say, that Mode 3 gets excited to an amplitude, say, 1.2 times larger than Mode 1 when the same (1 Newton)*Sin(omega*t) is applied, and that Mode 2 is not excited (amplitude is virtually zero because you are driving at a node.

How do I go about this? Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 14 juil. 2011, 21:39 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 juil. 2011, 11:49 UTC−4
Hi,

I figured out how to do this, it's to use the New > 3D > solid > Custom Studies > Frequency domain, and then to add a force boundary condition, and put a constant number into the box for, say, Force in x. This will give a sinusoidal excitation multiplied by that constant which is the amplitude of vibrations.

However I am still unconvinced that the actual deformation you get is what you'd physically expect, or if the deformations are only *relative* from mode to mode.

Meaning, I don't know if this approach takes into account physically-realistic damping at the anchored points, thereby giving the actual deformation amplitude and allowing me to trust the absolute deformation numbers, or if I can only trust the deformation numbers relative to each other -- i.e. trust one mode's deformation relative to another.

Can I trust these deformation numbers as correct, absolute numbers? Thanks

David
Hi, I figured out how to do this, it's to use the New > 3D > solid > Custom Studies > Frequency domain, and then to add a force boundary condition, and put a constant number into the box for, say, Force in x. This will give a sinusoidal excitation multiplied by that constant which is the amplitude of vibrations. However I am still unconvinced that the actual deformation you get is what you'd physically expect, or if the deformations are only *relative* from mode to mode. Meaning, I don't know if this approach takes into account physically-realistic damping at the anchored points, thereby giving the actual deformation amplitude and allowing me to trust the absolute deformation numbers, or if I can only trust the deformation numbers relative to each other -- i.e. trust one mode's deformation relative to another. Can I trust these deformation numbers as correct, absolute numbers? Thanks David

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 juil. 2011, 21:39 UTC−4
The deformation magnitudes that you get are absolute not relative to each other. There is no default damping in frequency domain analysis as far as I know. If there is damping you have to add it explicitly.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The deformation magnitudes that you get are absolute not relative to each other. There is no default damping in frequency domain analysis as far as I know. If there is damping you have to add it explicitly. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.