Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Initial Values From Previous Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

What I would like to do is run a heat transfer simulation (steady-state is fine) and then use the results as the initial values in a new transient simulation, but I am having a difficult time figuring out how to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Theodore

4 Replies Last Post 13 août 2011, 13:52 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 août 2011, 03:23 UTC−4
Hi,

make a study with 2 steps, and normaly the second step will take the results of the first one as IC, and if there is less results data than IC, it will fill in with the IC of the first step (got it ^^??)

If you want to make sure, put in the second step "results from : store solution ", as store solution is the backup of the results for your first step....

Good luck!
Hi, make a study with 2 steps, and normaly the second step will take the results of the first one as IC, and if there is less results data than IC, it will fill in with the IC of the first step (got it ^^??) If you want to make sure, put in the second step "results from : store solution ", as store solution is the backup of the results for your first step.... Good luck!

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 août 2011, 15:32 UTC−4
Yoann,

Yes, what you explained does make sense, but I can't figure out how to assign different loads (different heat sources in my case) to each step. I've tried adding another heat transfer set (so that I have ht and ht2 now), but it looks like each set of physics will be applied to each step of the solution, which is clearly not what I want.

A little further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Theodore
Yoann, Yes, what you explained does make sense, but I can't figure out how to assign different loads (different heat sources in my case) to each step. I've tried adding another heat transfer set (so that I have ht and ht2 now), but it looks like each set of physics will be applied to each step of the solution, which is clearly not what I want. A little further explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Theodore

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 août 2011, 16:18 UTC−4
Disable ht2 (transient) from the stationary study (Study 1 > Step 1: Stationary)

Disable ht (static) from the transient study (Study 2 > Step 1: Time Dependent)

Set Initial Condition of Dependent Variables in Time Dependent study to be the solution from Solver 1.

I don't have Comsol in front of me to tell you exactly, but this should be very close to the actual steps you need to take.
Disable ht2 (transient) from the stationary study (Study 1 > Step 1: Stationary) Disable ht (static) from the transient study (Study 2 > Step 1: Time Dependent) Set Initial Condition of Dependent Variables in Time Dependent study to be the solution from Solver 1. I don't have Comsol in front of me to tell you exactly, but this should be very close to the actual steps you need to take.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 août 2011, 13:52 UTC−4
Hi

sometimes you might manage to use a "Contination" or "Parametric" sweep of a "Parameter" to switch between ifferent load cases

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sometimes you might manage to use a "Contination" or "Parametric" sweep of a "Parameter" to switch between ifferent load cases -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.