Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh Problem with helix

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I´m actually trying to simulate the flow in a 3D Helical-like solid. The problem is that I alwas get an error during meshing the surface.

Is it possible that this is an dimension issue? becaus the small radius is int the order of µm and the bigger radius in the order of cm?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards ,

Albert

3 Replies Last Post 19 août 2011, 09:52 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 août 2011, 11:51 UTC−4
One thing to try is to break your problem up into more domains . For instance, instance of creating your structure with just one helix primitive, you might want to try 3-4, maybe more separates. Might be easier to mesh when you can break your geometry up into smaller chunks. You may also have to try using as many free tets in the mesh node as you have domains. If you have four domains, have four tets with each tet assigned to one of the domains.
One thing to try is to break your problem up into more domains . For instance, instance of creating your structure with just one helix primitive, you might want to try 3-4, maybe more separates. Might be easier to mesh when you can break your geometry up into smaller chunks. You may also have to try using as many free tets in the mesh node as you have domains. If you have four domains, have four tets with each tet assigned to one of the domains.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 août 2011, 05:35 UTC−4
Thanks for your help.

I tried to simulate just one helix bust still got the same Problem.

I also tried to set the inlet boundry with a free triangular mesh with max dimensions of 5µm. and a swept mesh for the domain with a distribiution of 500.

But I still have the same problem. It doesn´t solve.

Do you have another idea?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Albert
Thanks for your help. I tried to simulate just one helix bust still got the same Problem. I also tried to set the inlet boundry with a free triangular mesh with max dimensions of 5µm. and a swept mesh for the domain with a distribiution of 500. But I still have the same problem. It doesn´t solve. Do you have another idea? Thank you. Kind regards, Albert

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 août 2011, 09:52 UTC−4
I was able to get the structure to mesh but I am not 100% sure if this is what you want or not. Look it over and let me know if it is good or not. I do not have the physics setup, just the mesh working. File is in english version of comsol. I did the file in v4.1 so I think you will be able to open it ok.
I was able to get the structure to mesh but I am not 100% sure if this is what you want or not. Look it over and let me know if it is good or not. I do not have the physics setup, just the mesh working. File is in english version of comsol. I did the file in v4.1 so I think you will be able to open it ok.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.