Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

divergence of current density

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I want to find the divergence of current density using the expression div(J) , where J=(epsilonr-epsilon0)E to find the volume charge density (rho) using continuity equation. => div(J) = d/dt(rho)

if I try to find divergence using standard definition of divergence div(J)=(epsilonr-epsilon0)*(d(Ex,x)+d(Ey,y)+d(Ez,z)) I get large values due some numerical error for the finite mesh element size. Is there any other way to find divergence?

Thanks,

Amin

1 Reply Last Post 13 août 2011, 14:00 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 août 2011, 14:00 UTC−4
Hi

have you checked if the Exx Eyy ... are not already defined in COMSOL (I tend to forget how it was back in 3.5 ;), then you do not need to use the div() operator. Also check that you use 2nd or higher shape functions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked if the Exx Eyy ... are not already defined in COMSOL (I tend to forget how it was back in 3.5 ;), then you do not need to use the div() operator. Also check that you use 2nd or higher shape functions -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.