Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

membrane under tension

Maria Teresa Perez Zaballos

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am very new to COMSOL, so this might be a stupid question, but i cannot seem to find it anywhere. I am trying to simulate the membrane of a microphone, just as a simple 2D membrane first, because i am interested in how its behaviour changes depending on how much stretched out it is. Could anybody tell me where to set an initial tension on the fixed edges of the membrane? I have tried using the edge load and the point load but it doesn't seem to change the eigenfrequency of the membrane, which should be the case for the material i am using.

Thank you very much for your help.

1 Reply Last Post 22 sept. 2011, 14:11 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 sept. 2011, 14:11 UTC−4
Hi

eigenfrequency analysis does not consider external forces, so you must use a coupled analysis eigenfrequency with initial stress, then first solve a stationary study to getthe initial conditions, and then do the eigenfrequency analysis, using the satioary results as initial conditions. The latest COSMOl version proposes such solver sequences "pre-cooked" else you must build it up yourself. Check the doc and the model library ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi eigenfrequency analysis does not consider external forces, so you must use a coupled analysis eigenfrequency with initial stress, then first solve a stationary study to getthe initial conditions, and then do the eigenfrequency analysis, using the satioary results as initial conditions. The latest COSMOl version proposes such solver sequences "pre-cooked" else you must build it up yourself. Check the doc and the model library ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.