Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Trying to make sense out of the impedance boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Comsol has a built-in impedace boundary condition, which is an implementation of Leontovich boundary conditions in a form:

Z_s (n x H) = E_t,

Where Z_s is the surface impendance, H is the magnetic field and E_t is the electric field projected on the boundary.

This all makes sense.

What does not make sense for me is the weak formulation of the problem.

Among other auxilullary things, the surface current density is calculated: Js = (emw.tEx+emw.Esx)/emw.Zc

And the weak equation is written as (I skip the normalization constant):

(-emw.imp1.Jsx*emw.testPhystEx-emw.imp1.Jsy*emw.testPhystEy-emw.imp1.Jsz*emw.testPhystEz)

So, what is testPhystE*? I cannot find this in the manual. I've read about the test function, but they use a form of test(u). Is this the same thing?

If it is, what is written is a surface integral of J.Et = 0. How is this related to the original equation Z_s* nxH = Et?

0 Replies Last Post 13 mars 2019, 12:44 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yuan Gao

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.