Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple technical question

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am having troubling selecting the object I want in the 2D plane when there are 2 shapes of the same size on top of one another.

Anyone have any tips on quickly highlighting the required object?

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 24 déc. 2009, 10:15 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 déc. 2009, 10:15 UTC−5
Hi Eileen

I believe it is not directly possible to select overlapping object just like that in 2D. Now normally you would not have two identical parts, fully one over the other, if so normally one is too many. At least I beleive this was the thinking of COMSOL developpers at that time.

There are thow a few situation when you want to duplicate an object such as CntrlC CntrlV do make after a difference between two items, as then one of them dissapear, what you do not necesarily want.

As selection options you either have to find a region where the objects do not overlap,
or you select the "top one" and youdisplace it temporarily (do not forget to put it back again),
or what I mostly do, I select the "create composite object +/-*" and select the item therein, as then you have access to the different items, once selected you do a cancel and you continue whatever you wanted.

By thew way you have also the "draw - geometric properties ..." you can use to identify your 2D objects.

In 3D you have the "box" selection (must turn off first the leftmouse-click-drag "rotate" option, icon on the top at the left side of your 3D graphics window border) or you use the select all or select iterate, just as in 2D you can "box" "all included" or "all touched"

Hope this helps
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Eileen I believe it is not directly possible to select overlapping object just like that in 2D. Now normally you would not have two identical parts, fully one over the other, if so normally one is too many. At least I beleive this was the thinking of COMSOL developpers at that time. There are thow a few situation when you want to duplicate an object such as CntrlC CntrlV do make after a difference between two items, as then one of them dissapear, what you do not necesarily want. As selection options you either have to find a region where the objects do not overlap, or you select the "top one" and youdisplace it temporarily (do not forget to put it back again), or what I mostly do, I select the "create composite object +/-*" and select the item therein, as then you have access to the different items, once selected you do a cancel and you continue whatever you wanted. By thew way you have also the "draw - geometric properties ..." you can use to identify your 2D objects. In 3D you have the "box" selection (must turn off first the leftmouse-click-drag "rotate" option, icon on the top at the left side of your 3D graphics window border) or you use the select all or select iterate, just as in 2D you can "box" "all included" or "all touched" Hope this helps Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.