Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotating Machinery

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am working in a stirred reactor with the Rotating Machinery physics interface. The viscosity of the fluid is time-dependent. The problem is i dont see advances in the solution and get started three days ago. I know that this problems is complex, but is normal this time?

Thank you

10 Replies Last Post 22 nov. 2011, 11:58 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 nov. 2011, 10:20 UTC−5
How can i know if it has any problems in the simulation?
How can i know if it has any problems in the simulation?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 nov. 2011, 10:38 UTC−5
Hi

the Log and Progress windows give you some clues, the Convergence plot window others, then you should turn on the "plot while solving" option in the main solver node (a "closed tab" you need to open it) but this is plotting for each time you reach your desired time step results, and finally you might turn on the stepping per solver iteration, deeper down in the solver tree, depends on the solver selected, there are one or two other positions where you find a plot while solving tab

The plot while solving must be selected BEFORE you launch your solver

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the Log and Progress windows give you some clues, the Convergence plot window others, then you should turn on the "plot while solving" option in the main solver node (a "closed tab" you need to open it) but this is plotting for each time you reach your desired time step results, and finally you might turn on the stepping per solver iteration, deeper down in the solver tree, depends on the solver selected, there are one or two other positions where you find a plot while solving tab The plot while solving must be selected BEFORE you launch your solver -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 nov. 2011, 10:53 UTC−5
Hi Ivar
Thanks for your reply

Is normal that the solution take all this time? or maybe something is wrong?

Jason
Hi Ivar Thanks for your reply Is normal that the solution take all this time? or maybe something is wrong? Jason

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 nov. 2011, 11:05 UTC−5
Log window show this many time:

Inconsistent pointwise unidirectional constraints found.
16 constraints are merged/removed.

I can see that the stepsize is very small.
Log window show this many time: Inconsistent pointwise unidirectional constraints found. 16 constraints are merged/removed. I can see that the stepsize is very small.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 nov. 2011, 14:56 UTC−5
Hi

well it's not the best sign, but rotary machinery is complex so it is often time consuming. I try often to run y complex models with very crude mesh to get them tested ina reasonable time, then only I turn on fine stepping and decrease the meshing size.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well it's not the best sign, but rotary machinery is complex so it is often time consuming. I try often to run y complex models with very crude mesh to get them tested ina reasonable time, then only I turn on fine stepping and decrease the meshing size. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 nov. 2011, 16:36 UTC−5
Hi Ivar

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I have another doubt. In Time Dependent solver, in time stepping section, is preferable select FREE or STRICT in steps taken by solver list ?. What considerations i have to take to select the steps? Because, i see that the stepsize choose for the method is very small (in the order of 10^-4)
Hi Ivar Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have another doubt. In Time Dependent solver, in time stepping section, is preferable select FREE or STRICT in steps taken by solver list ?. What considerations i have to take to select the steps? Because, i see that the stepsize choose for the method is very small (in the order of 10^-4)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 nov. 2011, 01:47 UTC−5
Hi

the stepping time settings is "dependent on the model".

The default "free" uses the change in parameters to adapt at will, then to gently increase, this causes often very small steps at start, particularly when you give poorly defined initial conditions far from "reality".

"Strict" uses the time steps you decide, but if you are too gross the solver might not manage to converge, particularly again if initial conditions are poor.

Then you also have "intermediate". The latter means that COMSOL solves at least for one case in between your provided steps.

Then do you have a diffusion problem or a standing wave problem (oscillatory BC). For the former the "free" is well adapted as the step taken increases (typically doubles) regularly when the solution tends exponentially to its asymptote, you gain solver time like this, but the risk is that if you pulse any BC late in the solving steps, the solver might skip fully your fine changes, and you get wrong results. Oscillating or turn on turn off conditions are typical subjects for strict or I find better intermediate solver settings. Such to ensure the solver catches all the oscillations of your BC's

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the stepping time settings is "dependent on the model". The default "free" uses the change in parameters to adapt at will, then to gently increase, this causes often very small steps at start, particularly when you give poorly defined initial conditions far from "reality". "Strict" uses the time steps you decide, but if you are too gross the solver might not manage to converge, particularly again if initial conditions are poor. Then you also have "intermediate". The latter means that COMSOL solves at least for one case in between your provided steps. Then do you have a diffusion problem or a standing wave problem (oscillatory BC). For the former the "free" is well adapted as the step taken increases (typically doubles) regularly when the solution tends exponentially to its asymptote, you gain solver time like this, but the risk is that if you pulse any BC late in the solving steps, the solver might skip fully your fine changes, and you get wrong results. Oscillating or turn on turn off conditions are typical subjects for strict or I find better intermediate solver settings. Such to ensure the solver catches all the oscillations of your BC's -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 nov. 2011, 14:53 UTC−5
Hi Ivar
I choose Generalized alpha method in time stepping, select Manual in steps taken by solver and range of time is (0,50,32400)

The problem es:

Nonlinear solver did not converge.
Time : 1425.000047683716
Last time step is not converged.

What should i do? I treat to reduce the tolerance and decrease the size of mesh
Hi Ivar I choose Generalized alpha method in time stepping, select Manual in steps taken by solver and range of time is (0,50,32400) The problem es: Nonlinear solver did not converge. Time : 1425.000047683716 Last time step is not converged. What should i do? I treat to reduce the tolerance and decrease the size of mesh

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 nov. 2011, 16:50 UTC−5
If is possible, please check the file.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jason
If is possible, please check the file. Thank you very much for your help. Jason

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2011, 11:58 UTC−5
Hi Ivar

I hope u can help me, i still have the same problem
Hi Ivar I hope u can help me, i still have the same problem

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.