Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Input 4th order biharmonic PDE of thin plate flexure into COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am new to COMSOL. I am now using COMSOL to model the thin plate flexure. The problem is that I do not know how to input the 4th order biharmonic PDE of thin plate flexure into COMSOL.

The 1D equation is:

∇^4 w+ (ρ/D)*w=q/D or

(∂^4 w)/(∂x^4 )+(ρ/D)*w=q in 1D or

(∂^4 w)/(∂x^4 )+(∂^4 w)/(∂x^2 ∂y^2 )+(∂^4 w)/(∂y^4 )+(ρ/D)*w=q in 3D.

the boundary conditions are w = 0 at all vertical boundaries for the square plate.

I got some information from the forum that I need to convert the 4th order PDE to systems of 2nd order PDE, i.e.,

∇^2 w = u;

∇^2 u =q - (ρ/D)*w;

So then I added 2 PDEs with coefficient form under the same model, BUT I do not know how to couple these two equations and what need to be done for the boundary settings and model coupling?

I attach here the COMSOL model I did, which has many problems.

If any of you can give me some advice on how to proceed this model, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you very much,
Steve

0 Replies Last Post 2 déc. 2011, 16:44 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Steve Shi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.