Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

meshing problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am trying to mesh a geometry but it is almost impossible for me.
The geometry consists of 3 cylinders inside a cube. The radius of the cylinders is much smaller than the dimensions of the cube.

I have tried every way of meshing like free mesh with really great accuracy, i have tried to mesh seperately the cylinders and the cube etc but i always get the error 4100.

Is there anything else that i can do?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

6 Replies Last Post 22 déc. 2011, 18:20 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 déc. 2011, 13:09 UTC−5
Hi

it has been discussed a few times, if your small geometry is smaller than 1:10'000 or there-about you need to split your domains to respect this ratio, it comes from the difficulty to mesh such dimensional changes

And start manually with the small part and go step by step outwards, while you increase the mesh size as fast a possible, but still respecting your expected gradients and related mesh sizes for the final solution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it has been discussed a few times, if your small geometry is smaller than 1:10'000 or there-about you need to split your domains to respect this ratio, it comes from the difficulty to mesh such dimensional changes And start manually with the small part and go step by step outwards, while you increase the mesh size as fast a possible, but still respecting your expected gradients and related mesh sizes for the final solution -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 déc. 2011, 08:32 UTC−5
Hey Thanks for the answer!

Yes i know that this issue is very common. I have tried what you suggested but the problem is that i have only one subdomain that i cannot mesh.

Is it possible to divide the domain in smaller just for the mesh without affecting the geometry of the problem?

thanks
Hey Thanks for the answer! Yes i know that this issue is very common. I have tried what you suggested but the problem is that i have only one subdomain that i cannot mesh. Is it possible to divide the domain in smaller just for the mesh without affecting the geometry of the problem? thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 déc. 2011, 10:14 UTC−5
Hi

Certainly you can cut you domain with a few lines to make several domains and mesh the surfaces separately, but you can also mesh one or two edes i.e. with an exp separation and then mesh the domain. In v4 you have layers to add separations

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Certainly you can cut you domain with a few lines to make several domains and mesh the surfaces separately, but you can also mesh one or two edes i.e. with an exp separation and then mesh the domain. In v4 you have layers to add separations -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 déc. 2011, 13:44 UTC−5
How can i cut a domain in smaller subdomains in 3D geometry. Is there an option for drawing a plane surface?
How can i cut a domain in smaller subdomains in 3D geometry. Is there an option for drawing a plane surface?

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 déc. 2011, 05:19 UTC−5
Hi

If you superpose 3 bloks of different length you will get the 3 domains, formed as an union of all 3 items, then you can select each individual (intersection parts)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi If you superpose 3 bloks of different length you will get the 3 domains, formed as an union of all 3 items, then you can select each individual (intersection parts) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 déc. 2011, 18:20 UTC−5
thanks, it helped a lot
thanks, it helped a lot

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.