Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Count Elements on Surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

When meshing, comsol spits out the total number of elements contained in the mesh. Is there any way to extract the number of elements on a single surface? I tried to look into the post-processing "Derived Values" section but couldn't find anything.

4 Replies Last Post 6 févr. 2012, 04:44 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 févr. 2012, 05:17 UTC−5
Is it going to do any good ?? if i have not mistaken ... anyways .. just see the image !

PS:
sry i am poor in paint ... nvm !
Is it going to do any good ?? if i have not mistaken ... anyways .. just see the image ! PS: sry i am poor in paint ... nvm !

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 févr. 2012, 15:44 UTC−5
Hi Melanie,

there is a way, it was mentioned in another post last month I believe but you need to combine the mesh type with a integration by summation

You can also use the mesh statistics on a boundary but that variable you cannot access, the one you create can be made callable

And here is the link to the thread, it was centred on the mesh volume, but you need the count too therein

www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/25442/

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Melanie, there is a way, it was mentioned in another post last month I believe but you need to combine the mesh type with a integration by summation You can also use the mesh statistics on a boundary but that variable you cannot access, the one you create can be made callable And here is the link to the thread, it was centred on the mesh volume, but you need the count too therein http://www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/25442/ -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 févr. 2012, 23:51 UTC−5
Sorry for the wrong image i have attached ..

Simply right click on mesh and select statistics and change what you want to select for from the drop down list boxes .. "geometric entity level" and "selection"
Sorry for the wrong image i have attached .. Simply right click on mesh and select statistics and change what you want to select for from the drop down list boxes .. "geometric entity level" and "selection"

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 févr. 2012, 04:44 UTC−5
The image that i intended to attach !
The image that i intended to attach !

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.