Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time step as a function of the variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to state the time step taken by the solver as a function of the variable of the problem (e.g. in heat transfer, can we say that the time step depends on Delta T, the temperature increase during the step?).

Thank you in advance

2 Replies Last Post 26 mars 2012, 08:59 UTC−4
Victor Manuel Rodriguez Zermeno

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mars 2012, 14:55 UTC−4
Maybe you can modify the maximum step size to include some condition on Delta T. If that does not work, you can build your own time dependent solver with the time discrete solver. It will require more knots and bolts but you have more control of things.

Victor
Maybe you can modify the maximum step size to include some condition on Delta T. If that does not work, you can build your own time dependent solver with the time discrete solver. It will require more knots and bolts but you have more control of things. Victor

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mars 2012, 08:59 UTC−4
Thank you for your answer Victor. However, I don't really see how I can do this (it seems to me that the maximum time step only accepts times, not conditions on T). And about the time discrete solver, I can't use it since I'm working on COMSOL 3.5a...
Thank you for your answer Victor. However, I don't really see how I can do this (it seems to me that the maximum time step only accepts times, not conditions on T). And about the time discrete solver, I can't use it since I'm working on COMSOL 3.5a...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.