Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-physic results filling microchannel model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've just started working with comsol and want to simulate the effect of the contact angle on the filling of a microchannel with water.
I'm using the multiphase flow, level set method and have attached the model.
The problem is that when the contact angle of the walls change from 15 degrees to 180 degrees the waterfront should stop as there is no pressure added, however the results show that the channel keeps on filling itself.
I tried to change a lot of settings to see if that works better, but I'm pretty much stuck now.
Could anyone have a look at my model and see if they can tell me what's wrong with the model?
Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 5 mai 2012, 04:34 UTC−4
Lechoslaw Krolikowski

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mai 2012, 04:34 UTC−4
Hi,

The flow of liquid outside the point of change of the contact angle is caused by the inertial force.

To get more accurate results you should use a denser mesh.

If the channel has circular cross-section you should use 2Daxi modeling instead of 2D.
2D is suitable if the fluid flows between two parallel plates.

Regards,
Andrzej
Hi, The flow of liquid outside the point of change of the contact angle is caused by the inertial force. To get more accurate results you should use a denser mesh. If the channel has circular cross-section you should use 2Daxi modeling instead of 2D. 2D is suitable if the fluid flows between two parallel plates. Regards, Andrzej

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.