Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plane strain study with prescribed displacement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I tried to solve a basic problem with prescribed displacement on each boundries (u1=y et u2=x), and i don't get the good result. I don't get after solving the displacement i put. I tried several ways to write the prescribed displacement and nothing seems to work. I attach my file to this message.
I'm sorry i can't be more explicit but i'don't understand where the problem come from.
Thank you for your help.

2 Replies Last Post 22 juin 2012, 10:36 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 juin 2012, 06:58 UTC−4
Here is the file
Here is the file

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juin 2012, 10:36 UTC−4
Hi

I would rather ask what are you trying to do, and aren't you confusing space coordinates x,y,z and displacement u,v,w ?

Anyhow if you squeeze a 5m side cube by 2.5 m in all direction you end up with a point, that is a severe topology change than no programme, norm any simple math can handle, at least not like this

The prescribed displacement is differential distance so use rather 0.1% of the side length (strain) to stay within a reasonable elastic limit. then check only one direction (normal to the boundary) and leave the other unchecked (free to change, else you are getting a strange skewed thing

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would rather ask what are you trying to do, and aren't you confusing space coordinates x,y,z and displacement u,v,w ? Anyhow if you squeeze a 5m side cube by 2.5 m in all direction you end up with a point, that is a severe topology change than no programme, norm any simple math can handle, at least not like this The prescribed displacement is differential distance so use rather 0.1% of the side length (strain) to stay within a reasonable elastic limit. then check only one direction (normal to the boundary) and leave the other unchecked (free to change, else you are getting a strange skewed thing -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.