Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why are there three stop buttons?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Maybe it is a dumb question, but if you want to stop the simulation, why use three stop buttons? Why would you want to independently stop the time-dependent solver/nonlinear solver/assembly unit ?
Just curious, maybe I am just missing some important point or something.

Thanks and kind regards,

Ray

3 Replies Last Post 22 juin 2012, 06:05 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 juin 2012, 15:55 UTC−4
Hi

indeed at first glance it looks funny, but thinking over it:
I would say if you hit the lowest one you stop immediatly, if you hit higher up in the list it will run until this point, and perhaps then stop at a given "saved" position, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed at first glance it looks funny, but thinking over it: I would say if you hit the lowest one you stop immediatly, if you hit higher up in the list it will run until this point, and perhaps then stop at a given "saved" position, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 juin 2012, 04:17 UTC−4
I have tried all combinations, but I don't really see the difference. Actually, what I have seen is that under certain circumstances (large simulation) the stop buttons grey out after pushing them, but the simulation continues. This can last even hours until it finally stops... I would imagine 'stop' does actually mean 'stop' ..?
I have tried all combinations, but I don't really see the difference. Actually, what I have seen is that under certain circumstances (large simulation) the stop buttons grey out after pushing them, but the simulation continues. This can last even hours until it finally stops... I would imagine 'stop' does actually mean 'stop' ..?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juin 2012, 06:05 UTC−4
Hi

i agree, this seems to have been improved in v4.3

But STOP means stop gracefully at next logical iteration and then cascade through the solver sequence tree, to not corrupt all results.

You have the abort (red (X)) that stops quicker but often you do not even get any intermediate results then

To be tested again in the new 4.3 !

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi i agree, this seems to have been improved in v4.3 But STOP means stop gracefully at next logical iteration and then cascade through the solver sequence tree, to not corrupt all results. You have the abort (red (X)) that stops quicker but often you do not even get any intermediate results then To be tested again in the new 4.3 ! -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.