Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Droplet disappear simulated by phase method

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

[start here] I'm trying to simulate a droplet wetting on substrate with contact angle of 90 degree using phase method. However, it gets smaller and smaller and finally disappear. According to some discussion on the internet, they figure out that this problem is due to phase method and it can be reduced by refinement of meshes. So I refine my meshes and it does have some effect, but it takes too much longer time to calculate. I wonder if there is some other way to solve this problem?

2 Replies Last Post 26 nov. 2021, 03:21 UTC+1
Amin Kazemi Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Toronto

Posted: 2 years ago 31 oct. 2021, 15:09 UTC+1
Updated: 2 years ago 31 oct. 2021, 15:12 UTC+1

My suggestions:

1) Avoid the phase-field and level-set approaches if the droplet is pinned to the substrate and doesn't have to detach from it. Instead, use a sharp interface model which gives you a more accurate result, and is easier to work with.

If you still have to use those methods,

2) try refining the mesh at the L-V interface only, not the whole domain.

3) Decrease the interface thickness and mobility until you get a satisfactory result.

My suggestions: 1) Avoid the phase-field and level-set approaches if the droplet is pinned to the substrate and doesn't have to detach from it. Instead, use a sharp interface model which gives you a more accurate result, and is easier to work with. If you still have to use those methods, 2) try refining the mesh at the L-V interface only, not the whole domain. 3) Decrease the interface thickness and mobility until you get a satisfactory result.

Posted: 2 years ago 26 nov. 2021, 03:21 UTC+1

In addition to refine meshes, you should decrease time step, decrease reinitial parameter. which would increase conservation of the phase.

In addition to refine meshes, you should decrease time step, decrease reinitial parameter. which would increase conservation of the phase.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.