Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bug in Pipe Flow Module?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I think there is a small bug in the new pipe flow module. Let me try to explain below:

When selecting the surface roughness in the pipe properties node, there are some built-in parameters for several materials, i.e. drawn tubing, thermoplastics, steel, concrete. The selected surface roughness is also shown on the Equation View section. For the pipe materials which has a roughness of 0.0015 mm (drawn tubing, glass and thermoplastics), the Equation View section shows e = 0.015mm.

After solving a problem using the pipe module with a built-in surface roughness -one of the materials above-, when I plot the 'e' parameter, I get 0.015mm instead of 0.0015mm.

I noticed this just as a coincidence.

Kind regards,
--
Tolga

2 Replies Last Post 1 août 2012, 10:47 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 juil. 2012, 00:31 UTC−4
Hi

It's important that you send such info alos to "support" directly (as here on the Forum we are all usesrs and have no way to corect) apart that thanks, its always useful info for us too ;)
Until now the engineers replying to the "support" mail have always been very reactive and corrected the issues rapidly, when identified

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It's important that you send such info alos to "support" directly (as here on the Forum we are all usesrs and have no way to corect) apart that thanks, its always useful info for us too ;) Until now the engineers replying to the "support" mail have always been very reactive and corrected the issues rapidly, when identified -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 août 2012, 10:47 UTC−4
Thanks Ivar, I agree. Please report any suspected problems to support@comsol.com to make sure they are fixed. This particular one we spotted and a fix is scheduled for 4.3 Update 2. It will be available soon through the Check for Updates feature.

In the mean time, please use User Defined surface roughness and set to 0.0015[mm] if you plan to use Drawn Tubing, Glass, or Thermoplastics.

kind regards
Niklas

Hi

It's important that you send such info alos to "support" directly (as here on the Forum we are all usesrs and have no way to corect) apart that thanks, its always useful info for us too ;)
Until now the engineers replying to the "support" mail have always been very reactive and corrected the issues rapidly, when identified

--
Good luck
Ivar

--
Niklas
Thanks Ivar, I agree. Please report any suspected problems to support@comsol.com to make sure they are fixed. This particular one we spotted and a fix is scheduled for 4.3 Update 2. It will be available soon through the Check for Updates feature. In the mean time, please use User Defined surface roughness and set to 0.0015[mm] if you plan to use Drawn Tubing, Glass, or Thermoplastics. kind regards Niklas [QUOTE] Hi It's important that you send such info alos to "support" directly (as here on the Forum we are all usesrs and have no way to corect) apart that thanks, its always useful info for us too ;) Until now the engineers replying to the "support" mail have always been very reactive and corrected the issues rapidly, when identified -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] -- Niklas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.