Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Newton's bucket experiment

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear reader,

I am look to simulate Newton's bucket experiment. I am trying to simulate one cylindrical object of water. And have the wall rotate around the cylinders axes. This should excert a drag force on the fluid because I have the no-slip condition box checked. But I can't find a way to have the wall displace it self around the central axes.

I am just going about it all wrong? Or did I miss something you might point out to me?

Please help me

6 Replies Last Post 3 août 2012, 09:27 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 août 2012, 05:08 UTC−4
Hi

I believe one way is to use the rotary fluid set up physics, check the model library for the examples. But normally I believe you can define a velocity for a boundary directly in the CFD, the only thing is that you need to define a cylindrical coordiante and define the rotation accordingly in the phi direction.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe one way is to use the rotary fluid set up physics, check the model library for the examples. But normally I believe you can define a velocity for a boundary directly in the CFD, the only thing is that you need to define a cylindrical coordiante and define the rotation accordingly in the phi direction. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 août 2012, 05:20 UTC−4
thanks for repleying

I did defined a cylindrical coordiante and defined the rotation in the phi direction but can't find a way to add a velocity to any boundary (the walls). I am only able to add a velocity to a object.
thanks for repleying I did defined a cylindrical coordiante and defined the rotation in the phi direction but can't find a way to add a velocity to any boundary (the walls). I am only able to add a velocity to a object.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 août 2012, 07:06 UTC−4
Hi

I'm not by my COMSOL WS so I cannot check myself, but perhaps you might add a subnode to the wall node of the type velocity, and ceck the help files. It could be that its related to some of the additional modules

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not by my COMSOL WS so I cannot check myself, but perhaps you might add a subnode to the wall node of the type velocity, and ceck the help files. It could be that its related to some of the additional modules -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 août 2012, 08:33 UTC−4
See www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/616/
Note that to model this in 2D axi, you will need the swirl flow interface that is part of the CFD Module.
See http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/616/ Note that to model this in 2D axi, you will need the swirl flow interface that is part of the CFD Module.

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 août 2012, 09:01 UTC−4
Sorry I was blind didn't look in the right place. I found what you were talking about in boundary conditions. But I don't get an option to have the moving wall condition expressed in cylindrical coordinates. Is there a way to write the x en y components as tangental velocity
Sorry I was blind didn't look in the right place. I found what you were talking about in boundary conditions. But I don't get an option to have the moving wall condition expressed in cylindrical coordinates. Is there a way to write the x en y components as tangental velocity

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 août 2012, 09:27 UTC−4
I have found sliding wall and that was exactly what I needed. Thanks for any help!
I have found sliding wall and that was exactly what I needed. Thanks for any help!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.