Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

geometric parameter sweep

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings everyone,

I'm running some stationary simulations using the MEMS module.
I would like to make a parametric sweep for a certain geometric variable.

The problem is that when changing this variable manually or automatically (sweep), the domains get messed up, e.g. materials assigned to domains get mixed up, the same occurs for the boundary and initial conditions, and all of this would have to be re-assigned manually.

My geometry contains one imported component (is it the cause of the problem ?)

Any suggestions on how this can be fixed ?

Regards,

5 Replies Last Post 30 août 2012, 20:18 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 août 2012, 20:59 UTC−4
Hi

one rule with geometrical sweep is NOT to change topology, because then COMSOL need to reorder the entity ID's and that tend to go wrong

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi one rule with geometrical sweep is NOT to change topology, because then COMSOL need to reorder the entity ID's and that tend to go wrong -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 août 2012, 10:16 UTC−4
Create a selection by right-clicking the Geometry node and select Object Selection that will base the selection on geometry entities rather than domain numbers, and can help you specify exactly what selections are created in the final geometry, even if topology changes happen during the
sweep.

The Gecko Foot example demonstrates how to use this feature.
Model Library path: MEMS_Module/Actuators/gecko_foot

regards, Niklas
Create a selection by right-clicking the Geometry node and select Object Selection that will base the selection on geometry entities rather than domain numbers, and can help you specify exactly what selections are created in the final geometry, even if topology changes happen during the sweep. The Gecko Foot example demonstrates how to use this feature. Model Library path: MEMS_Module/Actuators/gecko_foot regards, Niklas

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 août 2012, 11:38 UTC−4
...And for those without the MEMS Module, check out this link:

www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/1434/
...And for those without the MEMS Module, check out this link: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/1434/

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 août 2012, 12:58 UTC−4
Thank your everyone for your replies.

Regards,

Thank your everyone for your replies. Regards,

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 août 2012, 20:18 UTC−4
Hi Niklas

Thanks for the hint, I had noticed that when using selection goups (something I tend to do) COMSOL was far better to follow major changes in the geometry. So probably I should change my pre v4.2 learned "rule" of NOT changing topology, and now COMSOL also accept topology changes, that is great ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Niklas Thanks for the hint, I had noticed that when using selection goups (something I tend to do) COMSOL was far better to follow major changes in the geometry. So probably I should change my pre v4.2 learned "rule" of NOT changing topology, and now COMSOL also accept topology changes, that is great ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.