Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulation of CCT coils

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate a CCT coil magnet using COMSOL software, to simulate a single period. However, I found that the current distribution on the periodic boundary condition is different. What could be causing this? The coil is periodic, but the coil geometry analysis did not consider this.

2 Replies Last Post 23 juin 2023, 09:28 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 11 months ago 21 juin 2023, 13:23 UTC−4
Updated: 11 months ago 21 juin 2023, 13:23 UTC−4

This is an elegant model, but you do have a problem with it. It appears that the problematic region is the two wires (coil 9 and coil 19) that start and end on the same surface, rather than cross through the cylinder from one side to the other. I strongly encourage you to focus your attention and thinking on how your detailed choices of boundary conditions work (or in this case, fail) for those specific two wires. You may need to do a more detailed specification of the boundary conditions, to account for those two special-case wires.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
This is an elegant model, but you do have a problem with it. It *appears* that the problematic region is the two wires (coil 9 and coil 19) that start and end *on the same surface*, rather than cross through the cylinder from one side to the other. I strongly encourage you to focus your attention and thinking on how your detailed choices of boundary conditions work (or in this case, fail) for those specific two wires. You may need to do a more detailed specification of the boundary conditions, to account for those two special-case wires.

Posted: 11 months ago 23 juin 2023, 09:28 UTC−4
Updated: 11 months ago 23 juin 2023, 22:14 UTC−4

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't know what the principle of the coil geometry analysis is, and perhaps this is where the problem lies? In the Opera3D software, there are models for 8-node conductors and 20-node conductors. I don't know what the corresponding models are in Comsol.

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't know what the principle of the coil geometry analysis is, and perhaps this is where the problem lies? In the Opera3D software, there are models for 8-node conductors and 20-node conductors. I don't know what the corresponding models are in Comsol.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.