Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Doubt about transitorial analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Greetings!

I have a doubt about transitorial analysis. Let me explain: I´ve been looking for tutorials about the subject and I found one of CFD concerning a cylinder, I leave the link so you can check it:

www.comsol.com/showroom/downloadfile/model/97/version/comsol42a/file/models.mph.cylinder_flow.pdf

In this toturial a Step function is declared and is used to vary the average speed from 0 (zero) to U_mean.

My question is: Why is the funtion Step_1 used in the argument t[1/s]? According to me, we could use t[s] to obtain a "linear variation", even t would be valid as an argument to the function Step_1.

The point is, I have done this changes and the program is marking me errors.

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 7 nov. 2012, 13:07 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 nov. 2012, 00:37 UTC−5
Hello,

the reason for the t[1/s] is to make "t" witout units as most functions expect unitless values,
"t" has by default a unit of "s" so t[s] means s^2 type units
if you wtite t[1/min] t would count in minutes, that is 1,2,3 would correspond to minutes, while t[1/h] in hours etc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello, the reason for the t[1/s] is to make "t" witout units as most functions expect unitless values, "t" has by default a unit of "s" so t[s] means s^2 type units if you wtite t[1/min] t would count in minutes, that is 1,2,3 would correspond to minutes, while t[1/h] in hours etc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 nov. 2012, 12:50 UTC−5
Thank you very much.

Greetings from México
Thank you very much. Greetings from México

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 nov. 2012, 13:07 UTC−5
Hola

Youre welcome
From Switzerland, here ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hola Youre welcome From Switzerland, here ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.