Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling of flexible raft

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm trying to model the fluid structure interaction of a flexible raft being towed through water. I've tried to use the build in FSI module. I have modelled the raft as a linear elastic model and the water as the fluid domain and using a stationary solver. The problem is that COMSOL has a fixed fluid/solid interface throughout the whole simulation so if the raft deforms it practically drags down the water surface. Another problem is that the solid domain must be fixed somewhere to avoid infinite solution, so I can't simulate rigid-body motion.

I have an idea of using a Matlab loop to:
1. Calculate the flow around the undeformed geometry
2. Calculate the deformation of the solid
3. Export the deformed geometry using "Deformed Geometry" feature
Restart the loop with the deformed geometry
The loop ends when the deformation does not change anymore

The new problem is that stresses and strains of the deformed solid geometry are not preserved from loop to loop.

Does someone have an idea or hints to the following:
Is it possible to simulate an elastic deformation and rigid body motion of a solid?
Any idea of how to simulate fluid structure interaction, where the fluid/solid interface change?
Any idea of how to preserve the stresses and strains of a deformed geometry?
Alternatively project the Total stress from the fluid on a deformed geometry to an undeformed geometry?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Best regards
Kennet

0 Replies Last Post 7 nov. 2012, 05:40 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kennet Olesen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.