Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

View a 3D mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently meshing a 3D structure (single domain) with boundary layers on all the walls. I would like to visualize the mesh in order to check and improve if necessary.

I find it a bit difficult to figure out the elements, even with the mesh plot, transparency, shrink elements.

Probably there is a clever filter to set. How would you do?

Many thanks,

Alain Glière

3 Replies Last Post 10 janv. 2013, 11:18 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 janv. 2013, 11:01 UTC−5
Hi Alain,

I have also had the same problem. I will be interested to see if there is a simple solution to see the quality of the mesh in 3D.

Should there not be a solution, what I do is in the post-processing stage is to add the mesh onto the plot, and then use a Filter (right click) to add a condition such as x>0, where my structure is centred at 0,0,0.

This effectively creates a slice where you can see the mesh.

This does however mean that you have to solve first which is not ideal.

Maybe my way is really stupid but it works for me!

R
Hi Alain, I have also had the same problem. I will be interested to see if there is a simple solution to see the quality of the mesh in 3D. Should there not be a solution, what I do is in the post-processing stage is to add the mesh onto the plot, and then use a Filter (right click) to add a condition such as x>0, where my structure is centred at 0,0,0. This effectively creates a slice where you can see the mesh. This does however mean that you have to solve first which is not ideal. Maybe my way is really stupid but it works for me! R

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 janv. 2013, 11:15 UTC−5
Hi Robert,

In fact you don't have to solve first as you can visualize the mesh in the Mesh node (Plot). This creates a 3D plot with a Mesh node inside. There you can paint the elements according to their quality.

In fact I progressed a bit in the last hour. What I want at first is to check the boundary layer mesh. So I can make a selection on the volume element type (prism in the BL, tetrahedron in the fluid bulk) and combine it with a geometric filter such as what you suggest. I can see a hollow cylinder and on the slice the BL elements. Not too bad but I'm sure that other options exist.

Regards,

Alain Glière

Hi Robert, In fact you don't have to solve first as you can visualize the mesh in the Mesh node (Plot). This creates a 3D plot with a Mesh node inside. There you can paint the elements according to their quality. In fact I progressed a bit in the last hour. What I want at first is to check the boundary layer mesh. So I can make a selection on the volume element type (prism in the BL, tetrahedron in the fluid bulk) and combine it with a geometric filter such as what you suggest. I can see a hollow cylinder and on the slice the BL elements. Not too bad but I'm sure that other options exist. Regards, Alain Glière

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 janv. 2013, 11:18 UTC−5
I have not used boundary layers (yet).

But thank you for the info on the mesh node, it will save me some time.

Thanks again and good luck.

R
I have not used boundary layers (yet). But thank you for the info on the mesh node, it will save me some time. Thanks again and good luck. R

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.