Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to calculate the normal heat flux on a boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone. I´m a beginner with COMSOL and I don’t understand how it calculates the normal heat flux on a boundary.

In order to evaluate how to derive values in the Results section, I have followed the Heat sink tutorial included in COMSOL 4.2a and once I get the results of the simulation, I calculate the Surface Integration of the Total normal heat flux (nitf.ntflux) on surfaces 2, 3, 4 and 5. These surfaces have Thermal Insulation boundary conditions by default; hence, I expected to obtain 0 W on each surface. However, the values calculated by COMSOL are nitf.ntflux = 0.01353 W (surface 2), nitf.ntflux = -0.03251 W (surface 3), nitf.ntflux = 0.03545 W (surface 4), nitf.ntflux = 0.01363 W (surface 5) and nitf.ntflux = 0.0301 W (surfaces 2, 3, 4, and 5). In this model, there is only a heat source of 1 W on surface 8; therefore, the calculated Total normal heat flux on the isolated surfaces is higher than 3% of the supplied power.

Are these results misunderstood? Or there is something wrong with the model? Or…

Could anyone help me to understand these results?

Thank you and regards.

0 Replies Last Post 12 déc. 2013, 05:59 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Juan Perez

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.