Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2-D Extrusion to 3-D, projection from 3-D back to 2-D?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone:

I have a spiral geometry (i.e. cylindrical battery) on which that I solve for current distribution in 2-D. The current source is dependent on temperature, but the cooling boundary condition is more appropriately modeled in 3-D (i.e. cooling from the radial surface of a cylinder). I have successfully extruded the local heat generation rate from the 2-D spiral to a 3-D cylinder (using an Archimedes's spiral transformation equation). However, i need to map the temperature distribution back onto the 2-D to correctly model the current generation.

I don't think i can remap T from the 3-D subdomain back onto the 2-D subdomain using extrusion coupling variables. I think i might be able to use a projection coupling variable, but this appears to be very complicated on first glance.

Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks,
Todd

1 Reply Last Post 18 juin 2010, 01:40 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 juin 2010, 01:40 UTC−4
Hi
I do not have any straighforward example, but I believe your approach is correct.

The easiest is to try it out on a simple geometry, like a 3D cylinder/box and a 2D circle and rectangle

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not have any straighforward example, but I believe your approach is correct. The easiest is to try it out on a simple geometry, like a 3D cylinder/box and a 2D circle and rectangle Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.