Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A question about the boundary conditions for a 3d model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For a 3d model, for instance, a heat transfer problem, I need to apply a line heat source to some edge (line, but not face), namely, on an edge (line), the bc is a given heat flux. How can I do achieve this? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

2 Replies Last Post 23 sept. 2009, 03:10 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 sept. 2009, 01:24 UTC−4
Hi

Well I beleive you must re-express your specification slightly. Heat transfer deals with exchange over surfaces, and transport ina volume (over a given section) and a single edge has no "surface", this is probably the main reason why you will not find point nor edges domains in General heat transfer.

Now it depends what you want to simulate, I would probably start by cutting the volume along the edge slightly, defining a small but defined surface and apply your source term to there.

Even if you have a thin wire, aling your edge, it has a certain surface in contact with your volume.

Is this in line yith your understanding too ?
Good Luck
Ivar
Hi Well I beleive you must re-express your specification slightly. Heat transfer deals with exchange over surfaces, and transport ina volume (over a given section) and a single edge has no "surface", this is probably the main reason why you will not find point nor edges domains in General heat transfer. Now it depends what you want to simulate, I would probably start by cutting the volume along the edge slightly, defining a small but defined surface and apply your source term to there. Even if you have a thin wire, aling your edge, it has a certain surface in contact with your volume. Is this in line yith your understanding too ? Good Luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 sept. 2009, 03:10 UTC−4
thank u so much!
thank u so much!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.