Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Urgent: Coordinate system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

Can you please let me know if we can change the coordinate system or rather define a local coordinate system in the RF module? I am using version 3.5a.

Further, please let me know as to how can we define a gaussian beam at an angle using the RF module for transient analysis.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Avineet

7 Replies Last Post 29 mars 2011, 18:36 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 nov. 2010, 02:20 UTC−4
Hi

you can define a local coordinate system, see the doc and search on the knowledge base there are examples.

For the Gaussian beam you need normally to define the transverse Gaussian field distribution (by an equation) and the propagation vector k, but now I havent done it in 3.5 for so long that I'm already forgetting the detailes of the "old" COMSOL specialities ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can define a local coordinate system, see the doc and search on the knowledge base there are examples. For the Gaussian beam you need normally to define the transverse Gaussian field distribution (by an equation) and the propagation vector k, but now I havent done it in 3.5 for so long that I'm already forgetting the detailes of the "old" COMSOL specialities ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 nov. 2010, 12:17 UTC−4
Hello Ivar,

Thanks for your help. But it seems that it is not possible to define a local coordinate system in the RF module. Is it possible in version 4.0?

Thank you,

Avineet
Hello Ivar, Thanks for your help. But it seems that it is not possible to define a local coordinate system in the RF module. Is it possible in version 4.0? Thank you, Avineet

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 nov. 2010, 02:44 UTC−4
Hi

yes in V4 you acn , in 3.5 then you must do it by "hand" and check that your values transformed back into the cartesian system still are valid

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi yes in V4 you acn , in 3.5 then you must do it by "hand" and check that your values transformed back into the cartesian system still are valid -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 nov. 2010, 10:04 UTC−4
Hello Ivar,

Does that mean I have to transform all the built-in equations(in the Equation System) in COMSOL to the new co-ordinate system too?

Thanks
Hello Ivar, Does that mean I have to transform all the built-in equations(in the Equation System) in COMSOL to the new co-ordinate system too? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 nov. 2010, 10:30 UTC−4
Hello Ivar,

Is it possible to change the k (wave direction) in the 3.5 version of COMSOL? If yes, how do I change the wave direction?

Further, do I transform the equations written in the expression option itself or elsewhere? I need to chenge the wave direction somehow and I am not getting how to do it.

Thanks a lot,

Avineet
Hello Ivar, Is it possible to change the k (wave direction) in the 3.5 version of COMSOL? If yes, how do I change the wave direction? Further, do I transform the equations written in the expression option itself or elsewhere? I need to chenge the wave direction somehow and I am not getting how to do it. Thanks a lot, Avineet

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 nov. 2010, 14:33 UTC−4
Thanks a lot Ivar.

I finally got an inclined beam.

Regards,

Avineet
Thanks a lot Ivar. I finally got an inclined beam. Regards, Avineet

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 mars 2011, 18:36 UTC−4
Hi Avineet,

Could you please say how to define a gaussian beam in RF module, as you have already worked on it.
and also to give inclination.

Hi Avineet, Could you please say how to define a gaussian beam in RF module, as you have already worked on it. and also to give inclination.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.