Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Conductive Media DC(shell) + Electrostatics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello

I have been trying to couple the two application modes to find the electrostatic force on one boundary at a fixed voltage due to the voltage on a parallel boundary which has a variable voltage along it due to current flowing in it.I am using comsol 4.1.I keep getting the error
"Constraint found for variables in different Segregated groups. Try to merge these groups."

I thing this basically means both the applications are trying to set the voltage along the current flowing boundary.I think so because when I dont link the DC Shell output voltage to Electrostatics I do not get this error.Does anyone know how to get around this or know any other way to calculate this force.I am using Structural Mechanics module,MEMS module, and AC/DC module.

Any comments are appreciated.

thank you

2 Replies Last Post 18 oct. 2012, 07:41 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 janv. 2011, 04:09 UTC−5
Hi

I beleive it's related to the way these physics (which ones in particular: "solid", and ? and "mef" ?) couple and the segregation seqquence proposed.
Try to understand the segregation logic and its implication, often its enough to merge two ne step (if more than 2)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I beleive it's related to the way these physics (which ones in particular: "solid", and ? and "mef" ?) couple and the segregation seqquence proposed. Try to understand the segregation logic and its implication, often its enough to merge two ne step (if more than 2) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 oct. 2012, 07:41 UTC−4
I had the same problem. It was due to an inverted mesh element in my geometry. Creating a finer mesh solved the issue.
I had the same problem. It was due to an inverted mesh element in my geometry. Creating a finer mesh solved the issue.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.