Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solidworks LiveLink

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to take a microfluidic chip model I created in SolidWorks and transfer it to COMSOL. I have the LiveLink module which allows me to transfer whatever I do in SolidWorks to COMSOL directly.

I need to get the microfluidic channel geometry to COMSOL and for CFD, I need a solid model outline of the channels, which right now have been cut out of a irregular part. The channels are also of different shapes and sizes, so re-creating the geometry in COMSOL is not preferable.

My question is if there is an easy way to get a solid model of a channel profile I want, such as taking a negative of an extrude. For example, I have attached a picture showing a representative chip with cut channel, and then then solid channel profile I would like to get. Again the chip I am using is not purely rectangular, but it's to show the concept.

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 14 juin 2011, 00:44 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 juin 2011, 00:44 UTC−4
Hi

I'm not sure I fully understand, first of all if you do not modify any dimension in SolidWorks, by Comsol, then I would rather suggest to read in the file (Import) in "sldprt" or "x_t" format rahter to use LiveLink, as LiveLink makes you run two large programmes together.

So if its to "close" the channel, because you have the walls, you can do that in SolidWorks as you can in COMSOL, at will. I would simply add a surface at the inlet(s) and outlet(s). Then COMSOL will close the volume, and you can select walls and fluid volume.
Now if you do not do FSI, you can use the "Delete Entity" in the COMSOL geometry to avoid meshing and using RAM for the wall objects

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I fully understand, first of all if you do not modify any dimension in SolidWorks, by Comsol, then I would rather suggest to read in the file (Import) in "sldprt" or "x_t" format rahter to use LiveLink, as LiveLink makes you run two large programmes together. So if its to "close" the channel, because you have the walls, you can do that in SolidWorks as you can in COMSOL, at will. I would simply add a surface at the inlet(s) and outlet(s). Then COMSOL will close the volume, and you can select walls and fluid volume. Now if you do not do FSI, you can use the "Delete Entity" in the COMSOL geometry to avoid meshing and using RAM for the wall objects -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.