Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need to understand mphtxt format

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am new to COMSOL. I want to do a thermostructural transient analysis on a 2D axisymmetric model. I have a mesh in UCD format which I want to import in COMSOL for the analysis. How does one go about doing it? I see that it is possible to import a mesh in the native *.mphtxt or NASTRAN *.nas or *.bdf format.
I plan to modify the ASCII file containing the mesh in the UCD format to be in the *.mphtxt format. Is there some documentation that clears indicates what does each field in the *.mphtxt format correspond to?
Thanks in advance,
Saswati

5 Replies Last Post 13 avr. 2010, 23:27 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 déc. 2009, 05:48 UTC−5
Hello

I am not sure I remember it well.

However I think that there was a first array where there were three columns. The first & second column corresponded to (x, y) coordinates of the vertices of the triangles/squares present in your solved geometry. Then the third column corresponds to the simulated magnitude (e.g. temperature at that point).

The rest of arrays should be related to the linear relations between the previous points. But I am not sure.

Cheers.

AP

Hello I am not sure I remember it well. However I think that there was a first array where there were three columns. The first & second column corresponded to (x, y) coordinates of the vertices of the triangles/squares present in your solved geometry. Then the third column corresponds to the simulated magnitude (e.g. temperature at that point). The rest of arrays should be related to the linear relations between the previous points. But I am not sure. Cheers. AP

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 déc. 2009, 05:48 UTC−5
Hello

I am not sure I remember it well.

However I think that there was a first array where there were three columns. The first & second column corresponded to (x, y) coordinates of the vertices of the triangles/squares present in your solved geometry. Then the third column corresponds to the simulated magnitude (e.g. temperature at that point).

The rest of arrays should be related to the linear relations between the previous points. But I am not sure.

Cheers.

AP

Hello I am not sure I remember it well. However I think that there was a first array where there were three columns. The first & second column corresponded to (x, y) coordinates of the vertices of the triangles/squares present in your solved geometry. Then the third column corresponds to the simulated magnitude (e.g. temperature at that point). The rest of arrays should be related to the linear relations between the previous points. But I am not sure. Cheers. AP

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 févr. 2010, 14:57 UTC−5
Hey,

Please did you resolv your problem? I have a same problem with the mphtxt format.

Thanks.
Hey, Please did you resolv your problem? I have a same problem with the mphtxt format. Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 févr. 2010, 17:31 UTC−5
Hi Linda,
I was finally able to write out a mesh file in mphtxt format. Try understanding the format by exporting a very simple mesh (say that of a unit square) in mphtxt format from COMSOL and deciphering that.
Also, for help you can look up 'femmesh' command in the Commands Reference. Besides, the examples for meshes in multiphysics files (provided in the documentation) are also helpful.
Best of luck!
Saswati
Hi Linda, I was finally able to write out a mesh file in mphtxt format. Try understanding the format by exporting a very simple mesh (say that of a unit square) in mphtxt format from COMSOL and deciphering that. Also, for help you can look up 'femmesh' command in the Commands Reference. Besides, the examples for meshes in multiphysics files (provided in the documentation) are also helpful. Best of luck! Saswati

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 avr. 2010, 23:27 UTC−4
Thanks you Saswati.

Linda.
Thanks you Saswati. Linda.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.