Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Programmatically ignore seam edges for cylinders

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm generating structures using a stochastic process. As a part of this structure I have multiple cylindrical geometries. I require a periodic mesh and have identified a key factor that causes meshing issues.

The seam lines on the cylinders are not periodic. COMSOLs mesh routine does not appear capable of on its own ignoring these seam lines and as such will attempt to build the mesh using these, and will therefore throw an error when it cannot. If I manually select these edges with an Ignore Edges virtual operation, I can mesh most of the structures. My problem is that I need to solve this programmatically in MATLAB. The surface edges are still important enough that I cannot make some sort of box selection for all edges that intersect the boundary.

The geometry is imported in .stp format. I've noticed that the setting "Remove redundant edges and vertices" does seem to remove some of the seams, but not enough.

Does anyone have any idea how I could solve this?

I've attached an example of a seam which I would need removed or ignored

0 Replies Last Post 9 avr. 2020, 05:58 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Fredriksson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.