Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drilling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good morning,
I'm doing a study of drilling in comsol, but there are some factors that I am not able to complete well.
First: I did a study of meshes and the results were almost the same ranging from a mesh of 0.05mm to 0.5mm, is this normal?
Second: I'm adding a cooling and this also is not influencing the outcome, which would be the h what would you use to cooling with water or oil?

Thank you,
Isabella

1 Reply Last Post 14 mai 2012, 15:17 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mai 2012, 15:17 UTC−4
Hi

Normally a model is considered "mesh stable" or "mesh independent" if the results do not differ significantly (a few %) when you double the number of elements, so it looks like your coarse mesh is sufficient (as the model is set up, any change in BC or physics might change that drastically)

Adding heat exchange too a colant should indeed change the temperature (if you have some phyics that increases the temperature). I use typically 3 to 5 [W/m^2/K] for [h] in natural (unforced) air cooling, but for water and oil it's very dfferent, and rather T dependent too, for your case. It will vary also strongly with the fluid flow (heat transport by material transport) this becomes really multiphysics. As an example I use 10 to 20 [W/m^2/K] for "h" in forced air flow.
There must be further values for water or oil in the litterature, even if for these the alpha is rather low and the heat takes ages to conduct through the fluid, compared to air

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Normally a model is considered "mesh stable" or "mesh independent" if the results do not differ significantly (a few %) when you double the number of elements, so it looks like your coarse mesh is sufficient (as the model is set up, any change in BC or physics might change that drastically) Adding heat exchange too a colant should indeed change the temperature (if you have some phyics that increases the temperature). I use typically 3 to 5 [W/m^2/K] for [h] in natural (unforced) air cooling, but for water and oil it's very dfferent, and rather T dependent too, for your case. It will vary also strongly with the fluid flow (heat transport by material transport) this becomes really multiphysics. As an example I use 10 to 20 [W/m^2/K] for "h" in forced air flow. There must be further values for water or oil in the litterature, even if for these the alpha is rather low and the heat takes ages to conduct through the fluid, compared to air -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.