Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Earth Science module needed?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am investigating the role of fault zones through porous media and the enhancement for geothermal potential.

I only have the chemical engineering module available, my question is, do I need the Earth Science module if:

-fully saturated darcy flow in porous medium
-thermal conductive and convective heat flow

I was told dat buoyance change driven flow as a result of thermal expansion (thermal convection) was the problem.

'Similar' to my research is the example model 'Porous media flow: discrete fracture', model ID: 691. Where the earth science module IS used
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/691/

Also this benchmark model for free convection in a porous media, needs earth science module
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/278/

Is thermal convection the only issue here, and is there a way around?

2 Replies Last Post 15 avr. 2010, 09:18 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 avr. 2010, 05:16 UTC−4
The way around is write the equations you need using the various PDE modes. this ALWAY an option
[ remember the module are prepackaged code written with comsol so IN THEORY you can do yourself with the "base version" what is done in the applicaiton module..
but of course this require time and expertise.
So the rel issue you face is time vs money:
using prepackaged module will save you time .. is this time saving enough for your organization to buy the module? ... is up to you and then to that figure out..
The way around is write the equations you need using the various PDE modes. this ALWAY an option [ remember the module are prepackaged code written with comsol so IN THEORY you can do yourself with the "base version" what is done in the applicaiton module.. but of course this require time and expertise. So the rel issue you face is time vs money: using prepackaged module will save you time .. is this time saving enough for your organization to buy the module? ... is up to you and then to that figure out..

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 avr. 2010, 09:18 UTC−4

The way around is write the equations you need using the various PDE modes. this ALWAY an option
[ remember the module are prepackaged code written with comsol so IN THEORY you can do yourself with the "base version" what is done in the applicaiton module..
but of course this require time and expertise.
So the rel issue you face is time vs money:
using prepackaged module will save you time .. is this time saving enough for your organization to buy the module? ... is up to you and then to that figure out..

Thanks for your reply. I think I might be able to do this, but it's quite difficult work so I would really like my supervisor to buy the earth science module. He's is not unwilling but there is a little resistance with respect to purchasing it.

Wat would be good arguments to convince my boss to buy the module, when the chemical engineering module is already present?

Thank you!!
[QUOTE] The way around is write the equations you need using the various PDE modes. this ALWAY an option [ remember the module are prepackaged code written with comsol so IN THEORY you can do yourself with the "base version" what is done in the applicaiton module.. but of course this require time and expertise. So the rel issue you face is time vs money: using prepackaged module will save you time .. is this time saving enough for your organization to buy the module? ... is up to you and then to that figure out.. [/QUOTE] Thanks for your reply. I think I might be able to do this, but it's quite difficult work so I would really like my supervisor to buy the earth science module. He's is not unwilling but there is a little resistance with respect to purchasing it. Wat would be good arguments to convince my boss to buy the module, when the chemical engineering module is already present? Thank you!!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.