Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling the 3D whole cell biosensor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi friends,
I have been trying to learn the COMSOL to do the modelling for whole cell biochips. I have this problem which involves reaction- diffusion equation. So basically my chip is an electrode and which can sense the product of an enzyme reaction. whereas the enzyme reaction is taking place inside the cells which are kept on top of the chip separated by a distance l. The first boundary condition is at x=0 (at the electrode) which says that the flux due to electrochemical oxidation reaction is equal to diffusion flux (of the product). where as the second boundary condition says at x=l , there is no outflux.
I am trying to do it but getting mostly errors.. Can someone help me solve this.

3 Replies Last Post 25 avr. 2015, 14:26 UTC−4

Posted: 9 years ago 25 avr. 2015, 09:42 UTC−4
From your description I don't fully understand your equations but it seems to me perhaps you are underconstraining the system and it can't converge. What controls the incident rate of flux of the reagent?

You've set that the flux of reaction product equals the flux of the reagent but that, it seems, is automatically taken care of by the continuity equation in the bulk and so I don't see that does anything -- in fact it may be a form of overconstraint.

What you want, I think, is to specify a specific reagent boundary condition, for example flux density or concentration, to drive the reaction.

Pardon me for being rather rusty on this stuff but I'll do my best. Consider where I have a local reaction equation:

A + B <-> AB

The stationary continuity equation for this is (1D):

-d/dx flux A = -d/dx flux B = d/dx flux AB

So if A is disappearing then B is disappearing and AB is appearing. No extra boundary condition required.

Then you can have some sort of reaction rate, for example:

d/dx flux AB = (A B - AB0) / [ tau ( A + B ) ]

where AB0 is the equilibrium product of A and B.

This is 3 equations for 3 unknowns but you need to provide some sort of boundary conditions for A or flux A, B or flux B, AB or flux AB.

I could be wrong here and I likely made a few mistakes but I think your boundary condition is clearly a concern.
From your description I don't fully understand your equations but it seems to me perhaps you are underconstraining the system and it can't converge. What controls the incident rate of flux of the reagent? You've set that the flux of reaction product equals the flux of the reagent but that, it seems, is automatically taken care of by the continuity equation in the bulk and so I don't see that does anything -- in fact it may be a form of overconstraint. What you want, I think, is to specify a specific reagent boundary condition, for example flux density or concentration, to drive the reaction. Pardon me for being rather rusty on this stuff but I'll do my best. Consider where I have a local reaction equation: A + B AB The stationary continuity equation for this is (1D): -d/dx flux A = -d/dx flux B = d/dx flux AB So if A is disappearing then B is disappearing and AB is appearing. No extra boundary condition required. Then you can have some sort of reaction rate, for example: d/dx flux AB = (A B - AB0) / [ tau ( A + B ) ] where AB0 is the equilibrium product of A and B. This is 3 equations for 3 unknowns but you need to provide some sort of boundary conditions for A or flux A, B or flux B, AB or flux AB. I could be wrong here and I likely made a few mistakes but I think your boundary condition is clearly a concern.

Posted: 9 years ago 25 avr. 2015, 10:02 UTC−4
Hi..
In this problem..
the reaction is E+S--> P.. So the enzyme is fixed (inside the cell), the cell consume the substrate S and generate product P.. Now this product diffuses to the electrode and get oxidized electrochemically and give rise to a current.. Now my boundary conditions are
at x=0 (on the surface of electrode) Ks.P(0,t) =Dp.dP/dx, where Ks is reaction constant and Dp is diffusion coefficient.
at x=l dP/dx= 0

Hi.. In this problem.. the reaction is E+S--> P.. So the enzyme is fixed (inside the cell), the cell consume the substrate S and generate product P.. Now this product diffuses to the electrode and get oxidized electrochemically and give rise to a current.. Now my boundary conditions are at x=0 (on the surface of electrode) Ks.P(0,t) =Dp.dP/dx, where Ks is reaction constant and Dp is diffusion coefficient. at x=l dP/dx= 0

Posted: 9 years ago 25 avr. 2015, 14:26 UTC−4
That seems good to me. Are you using a symmetry boundary for the 2nd boundary?
That seems good to me. Are you using a symmetry boundary for the 2nd boundary?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.