Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cut point 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Simple question: my model is 3D, and I defined 5 points inside the results-Data Sets sections in order to evaluate them.
But how can I be sure that the points that I defined are located inside my geometry?
with visualization is not possible to understand for me.
Attached my model

Any answers will be appreciated, and many thanks in advance.
Best
Sepideh

3 Replies Last Post 12 janv. 2015, 08:33 UTC−5
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 9 janv. 2015, 10:50 UTC−5
But how can I be sure that the points that I defined are located inside my geometry?

You can't. The points outside the geometry are ignored. It's even possible for points to located inside the geometry for some times and outside the geometry for some other times (e.g., for moving mesh or parametric sweep).

[QUOTE]But how can I be sure that the points that I defined are located inside my geometry?[/QUOTE] You can't. The points outside the geometry are ignored. It's even possible for points to located inside the geometry for some times and outside the geometry for some other times (e.g., for moving mesh or parametric sweep).

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 10 janv. 2015, 04:48 UTC−5
Hi Gunnar

Well then how to ?
because I think that is a useful "feature" to be able to define a point and know where it really is in the solution domain.
Perhaps the answer is if one add in some internal Boundaries, Edges hence "true" internal "Points" that are somewhat attached to the Domain then one might be able to state that the Point is "following" the overall deformation of the domain.

Furthermore, in Solid Physics, Spatial Frame active, if the Cut Point is defined in the Material frame, what I hope it is by default, then the result should be output correctly, or not ?

And then a linked question that is puzzling me for some time, since "Post-processing - Plot - Arrow Points" has disappeared from the COMSOL node list:
Once I have defined a "Point" of post-processing metrology, and calculated my variables there, then "How to illustrate an Vector Arrow on my 2D/3D plots of my vector or tensor variables ?"

Thanks for the precisions
--
Sincerely
Ivar
Hi Gunnar Well then how to ? because I think that is a useful "feature" to be able to define a point and know where it really is in the solution domain. Perhaps the answer is if one add in some internal Boundaries, Edges hence "true" internal "Points" that are somewhat attached to the Domain then one might be able to state that the Point is "following" the overall deformation of the domain. Furthermore, in Solid Physics, Spatial Frame active, if the Cut Point is defined in the Material frame, what I hope it is by default, then the result should be output correctly, or not ? And then a linked question that is puzzling me for some time, since "Post-processing - Plot - Arrow Points" has disappeared from the COMSOL node list: Once I have defined a "Point" of post-processing metrology, and calculated my variables there, then "How to illustrate an Vector Arrow on my 2D/3D plots of my vector or tensor variables ?" Thanks for the precisions -- Sincerely Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 12 janv. 2015, 08:33 UTC−5
Hello Sepideh,
Perhaps this is all you are looking for. At the top of the Settings window for a 3D Cut Point, you will find a Plot button; click it and the location of the 3D cut point will be shown by a red dot in the graphics window - if the point in question is indeed located within the meshed geometry.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Sepideh, Perhaps this is all you are looking for. At the top of the Settings window for a 3D Cut Point, you will find a Plot button; click it and the location of the 3D cut point will be shown by a red dot in the graphics window - if the point in question is indeed located within the meshed geometry. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.